Mum of twin teens - nothing else scares me!

Saturday, 8 March 2014

Bamboozled Again!

Today's blog was going to be an intellectual one, but my mind was bamboozled by a couple of conversations I've had recently with my children and this is what I've written instead...

I have been decidedly hands-off with both daughters since they left for uni. We Skype regularly and if there's a minor problem I'll say something like this, "Oh that's dreadful, what are you going to do?" I then eagerly await their answer, while trying not to giggle and offer advice if they need any.

Occasionally however, my Mum-gene resets itself and I'll wake during the night filled with fear, thinking random thoughts about things they're bound to have forgotten. Eg. Olivia still hasn't sorted out accommodation for next year; why is this bugging me exactly? She isn't worried about it in the slightest and I've been banned from bringing it up in any conversation. I am positively freaking out about this and trying to think ahead. Does anyone have a tent she can borrow if it all goes horribly wrong?

Next weekend, she will either heading home from university or going to France. During a recent chat with her, I mentioned that she might want to let me know as soon as possible. Unimpressed by my nosiness she asked simply, "Why?" And my answer, "Because I have your passport."

I guess that I have only myself to blame for this. When the girls were growing up I had a demanding job, Mr A worked long hours and we were caught up in a whirlwind of extracurricular activities (ballet, Japanese and rowing) and domestic bliss chaos. There was very little time off for anything and it was always easier to get on with the chores, rather than listen to a never-ending list of excuses from my daughters. To be fair they've always done the dishes, while homework and the aforementioned activities seemed to consume the rest of their time.

I have spoken to Sophia via Skype just this morning, she has eaten toast and peanuts for breakfast and had been out clubbing last night. To be fair she looked remarkably well. We had exactly the same conversation that we've been having for the past month now, about a reference that has gone AWOL in the uni postal system. I have learnt from experience that approximately half of all mail goes the same way and that anything of importance has to be sent via recorded delivery. Having wanted to stick my fingers in my ears and hum quietly to myself, I insisted that she actually call the person in question and ask politely if she could have another copy, which I'm only too happy to collect, upload, email and send via recorded delivery. Please can we not have the same conversation again next week!

Having said all of the above, I am so looking forward to having the pair of them home for the holidays. I know that my brain will be even more scrambled than normal, as I'll be thinking for three and second-guessing all that is going on, but I miss being a Mum and love my daughters more than they'll ever know.


Copyright©2014 Izzie Anderton





7 comments :

  1. Aw you totally deserve that nomination. Yet another warm, witty, and more importantly real story of family life - they do sound like perfect teenagers :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can completely relate to all you have written. An empty nest is a wonderful thing, but you miss them, then they come home, and to be honest, I wish for the empty nest again. It is always a battle with my inner self.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always smile when I read your posts! The tribulations of letting them learn independence but wanting to protect and help them at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These posts about children that have left home give me the eebie jeebies! I can't imagine my sons every going and I truly don't want them to - although once they're teenagers I appreciate that I might be rather more willing. I love the fact you have retained your power with the passport line! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. awww Izzie i so love your tales of twin girls they really do make me relate to my younger years. I do hope you have a super time in your frazzled state when they do come home x

    thanks for linking up with #MagicMoments x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm looking forward to and slightly dreading this stage when mine start to leave home. Sounds like the worry about them doesn't go once they leave! You clearly have a great relationship going and they come to you for support which is so important. I hope I manage the same

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post and what a very cool mum. Love reading your posts so much #magicmoments

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.

© The World According to Izzie , AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena