Mum of twin teens - nothing else scares me!

Wednesday, 12 March 2014

Silence is Golden (but Scary)

Mysteriously neither daughter has been in touch for the past few days. In fact, they are conspicuous by their absence. Have they read the previous blog and it's hit a nerve? Are they wrapped up with coursework deadlines? Or, is it that they know I'm not amused and are avoiding conversations that are inevitable when they finally make contact?

Is Olivia going to France at the weekend? Who knows? I still have her passport so she won't get very far. Sophia's still missing that reference she so desperately needs and with each passing week it seems more unlikely she'll be heading abroad to work for the summer. I don't know what's more scary - the thought of a sulky teen moping around the house for the holidays, or the possibility of not seeing her at all?

It seems that almost a week has passed and still, there are more questions than answers.

Meanwhile, this week has been interesting at home, Mr A and myself have been finishing off a couple of DIY projects, working in the garden and tidying the house. This is not normal behaviour for either of us and usually when the kids are away we're rather laid back about the housekeeping. Are we trying to prove to our daughters that the house is always immaculate when they're not home? Or is this a psychological response to hoping to spend more time with them and not bother (too much) with chores when they're back? I suspect it's the latter.

Although this backfired spectacularly when they were home for Christmas. It was as though we inhabited a different time zone to our offspring, as they appeared to be at least 5 hours behind us. Both daughters made an appearance around lunchtime and headed back to bed sometime around 3 am. Meanwhile, the sleep deprivation was cruel for their parents after a day's work when followed by the realisation that tomorrow, we were getting up again sometime around 6:30 am and starting all over again. We hadn't felt that sleep deprived since they were babies.

If you're reading this blog Olivia, please can you let me know (sometime) when you'll be back? Your Dad and I have lives of our own, I know that this will come as a surprise to you. We still have reason to believe that Sophia's coming home on 30th March (Mother's Day in the UK). Cheers hun, can't think of a nicer way to spend the day (6 hours on the motorway, followed by lots of hugs with my daughter).

In other news, on Monday I talked to a frog. It was on the drive when I arrived home from the supermarket and I politely asked it to move before it got squished. I told it there there was no way it was getting a kiss (fairy tales are all well and good, but I'm already married) and encouraged it to hop next door. Naturally, I won't be sharing this with either of my children - they think I'm crazy enough as it is!


Copyright©2014 Izzie Anderton




11 comments :

  1. Haha, "I talked to a frog", I think you need to get out more dear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope your daughters get in touch soon. And keep talking to frogs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It must be SO hard not to phone them up and find out what is going on. Well done for standing your ground though! I think sometimes you get more sense out of talking to animals!! Thank you for linking to PoCoLo x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope they are in touch soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bloody Kids Eh??? seriously though I hope there get in touch soon... Must be hard not to know where there are... I love the younger years of my kids, I know where there are 24/7. Sometimes I feel like I get more sense out of my Pet dog :) #PoCoLo

    ReplyDelete
  6. The joy of teenagers, I hope you hear from them soon x #PoCoLo

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a catch-22 situation for you! And the situation will probably make a complete about turn soon where you'll be wishing for some silence.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a theory that if they're not keeping in touch - everything is OK in their lives and they're simply busy being students. Can be a little irritating at times though, especially when a change of plans involves me driving a very long way. Love them anyway x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Definitely agree you get more sense out of animals sometimes! (And at least they don't answer back..!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. If Olivia comes to France tell her to come and says hello to us! Seriously I hope you all get back in touch soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's quite normal to talk to the frog. The problems start when it answers :)
    I have no idea how you manage to stay sane when you don't hear from them, I know I have a long way to go before I am eve able to think about letting go enough for a day without phone-calls.... Thank God I have 9 years to get used to it!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.

© The World According to Izzie , AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena